Tuesday, January 3, 2012

He will overcome!



My sweet Selah. When I found out I was pregnant with her, my firstborn was just a colicky four month old. I was so scared to have two babies at once. I was thankful for this new life growing inside me, but as a mother who was suffering from what I can only guess was Post Partum Depression, sleep deprivation and dealing with the recent loss of my dear father in law, I was not ready for another baby. And I told God that, of course ;) But as always, he already knew the joys Selah would bring to our lives.

She was born a healthy 8lbs 8oz but had trouble nursing from the beginning. And like her sister she was failing to thrive by the time she was six months old. She wasn't gaining weight and was just a little behind on most of her milestones. The Doctor was a little concerned and had us run a few tests.

Every test came back normal. Praise the Lord! We could only attribute her slow weight gain to nursing, since Amara also had trouble nursing and gaining weight. Finally, at eleven months, I gave up and weaned her. We also saw a nutritionist who told us to add butter to the baby food I made. Our tiny girl gained two pounds in one month and was finally almost 16 pounds by the time she turned a year!

This back story is all to tell you that because she was so little, combined with her fearful personality, she was late on her motor skills. She didn't crawl until almost thirteen months and... drum roll please... last week at seventeen months, finally took her first steps on her own!!

Selah is very different from her sister. She doesn't have the natural confidence that Amara has. She is very attached to me and her blanket. I think she was strong enough to walk by fifteen months old, but was too afraid. But when she finally did, all the waiting was worth it to see the sparkle in her bight baby blues when she cautiously took those first couple steps. And do you know why? Because she knew her Mommy was right behind her and her Daddy was right in front of her, waiting for her to come to him.

Since that moment, I have been cherishing those few seconds in my heart. At first I couldn't figure out what those few moments were so special to me. It was in part, because I have been wondering if, down the road, we would find something wrong with our sweet little birdie. But as I thought more about it, I realized fearful Selah taking those first couple steps into her fathers arms is the perfect picture of us as Christians taking steps towards something we know God wants for us yet we are scared to do.

I began looking up scripture that has to do with fear. Most of them are very familiar verses, but when I read them again, they bring such comfort to my soul.

Isaiah 41:13
For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you

Psalm 27:1
The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?

Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the Lord your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline

I don't have to be afraid to start an adoption when we don't yet have the money. I don't have to be afraid to serve and love on the poor in our community as uncomfortable as it may be at times. I don't have to be afraid to step out and give away money even if it's my last dime. He is right there with us. Those are the things I feel God calling me to do, yet am sometimes afraid to do. What are your yours?

He will overcome!! He is waiting for us to take those first few steps. We can take those steps of faith knowing He is right there waiting for us.

I know this is elementary, but it is something I still often struggle with. I pray that these verses will speak to your heart and nurture your soul as they did mine.

Love,
Danielle

5 comments:

  1. Great post again, Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do I have a feeling that amara is going to be hard on selah her whole life?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting for you and your family, and you're right, what a beautiful picture of us, little toddling Christians, cautiously walking towards Him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY SELAH!!! I can't wait to see you guys when you get into town :) Play Date (Which is really a mommy date)!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a sweet story Danielle! :)

    ReplyDelete