Thursday, January 5, 2012

Recapping 2011

I know I am a few days behind since it is already January 5th, but I wanted to recap some of the most memorable things from last year. This post is more for me... to record all the special moments from the year I don't want to forget. Here are some highlights (and a few lowlights) from our 2011:

We had our first big adventure together as a family... our move to northern Michigan.

Our first nephew, baby Thomas, was born.

My brother, Brandon, got married.

Selah had a scary cystic fibrosis test which was negative. Praise the Lord!

A bird got caught in our attic for an afternoon and then proceeded to fly through our house while we were freeing it.

I had to call the police because Mara locked herself in her room.

I had my first experience living in the "country" and was able to take daily walks with the girls to see cows and chickens and horses on our street.

Amara told me to shut up. I cried.

Selah learned to crawl and took her first steps on New Years Eve.

My hardworking husband got a job as store manager.

We had our second, and even bigger family adventure when we moved to New York.

We lived in a hotel for a month... with a two year old and one year old.

Thanks to a certain two year old, around our house pigtails are either called 'toenails' or 'veggie tales' but never pigtails. :)

Amara began referring to her sister as "My Selah". I wonder how long she will think her sister is something she owns.

John and I went on an amazing weekend marriage retreat that we will always cherish.

We became landlords.

I made both of the girls' Halloween costumes this year and Amara went trick or treating for the first time. She was a champ and went up to each house all by herself.

I went away for four whole days without my husband or children to attend a conference for my jewelry business. It was a very refreshing time!

While I was away on that conference, Amara burnt her hand pretty badly.

Last January Mara slipped on the ice and got a very minor scrape on her arm. It took eight months to heal because she would pick at it every night in bed.

My sweet Grandpa, and last remaining blood grandparent, passed away from a long battle with lung cancer.

Selah started talking and can say so many words. Her first few were baby, blanket, duck, stuck (which she pronounces 'duck' so you never know which one she is saying!), please, thank you and help me.

John and I spend our very first Christmas away from our families.


That is a long list, but short compared to the amazing year that we packed full of memories. For me personally, this year has been a time of "cutting the apron strings" from my parents and leaning on my husband as we moved. I also felt John and I grew spiritually as a couple more than ever. We have sought God and have done much praying together. I am excited to see what things God has in store for us in 2012. Do we have any goals? Yes! Lots of crafting, lots of games of Rivals of Catan and... No moving!! ;)

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how many things can happen is a single year and it's a good idea to chronicle them because you can forget how eventful this time in your life was. You and John are definitely in the "tall cotton" when it comes to change but, if you embrace it, things are a lot easier. And with God as our focus, we know that all things will work to our ultimate good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete